Forum activity for 2026

Out of curiosity, I went through posts the other day and counted the number of App Review complaints in a single day. I found 17, but it seemed like that was a slow day with numerous actual technical posts.

I just repeated the exercise and found 32. I'm not sure about my methodology at the edge. The forum doesn't have real, absolute timestamps. A timestamp of "23h" is definitely in range, but I'm not sure about "1d". And the forum list is limited to 10 pages. So the actual 24-hour count number this morning could be more or less than 32.

I'm probably not going to repeat the exercise. I'll just assume the average is 24 per day and leave it at that. I'm not claiming this is a good thing or a bad thing. I simply find it morbidly fascinating.

Qualitatively, the results are equally creepy. The posts seem to follow a template. They virtually always feature:

  1. A call for input to ask if anyone else has ever experienced anything similar, as if the past 8 months haven't happened. But perhaps this is just the modern approach - speak your truth first, read or listen to others later, if at all.
  2. A request for guidance from other developers for escalation strategies.
  3. A plea to the Apple gods for intervention or confirmation of properly queued status.

Engagement seems unproductive.

More concerning for other developers is a common practice of automatically requesting an expedited review. Not every post includes this, but virtually every post that involves a rejection says that a subsequent submission was expedited. I don't think I've ever requested an expedited review. It doesn't sound like a good idea in this age of AI-supported App Review. If there's a rejection model in training, it seems like expedited review status would be a significant input.

I noticed a recent attempt to bump some Apple posts pointing to App Review tips. I'm not sure such bumps are effective. For one thing, they're already on page 9. Who's looking at page 9 other than me? It would be better if they were truly pinned following common practice in other forums. And obviously none of these posters are reading any previous posts before making their own. They sometimes do some after-the-fact forum research and add a few "me too" replies.

On a more humourous note, it's telling that there is an assumption in this community that people recognize rejection reasons by App Review Guideline paragraph number. I'm starting to learn those myself from reading these posts. That's a clear signal to change my own behaviour, which is ultimately all I can do.

My plea to the Apple gods would involve some support for that endeavour in the form of forum updates to 1) better serve these hapless developers and 2) allow other developers to ignore them. For example, the Apple Support Community, apparently based on the same back-end discussion forum engine, has the ability to allow users to subscribe to specific communities. I don't see any way to do that here. I would sure like to be able to exclude both "App Store Distribution & Marketing" and "App Review" from any such subscription list. (And maybe SwiftUI too. 😄 )

I have other suggestions regarding comments, notifications, and update indications. But the current poor state of forums would overwhelm any such minor improvements.

But the current poor state of forums …

I totally agree. Forums have become nearly useless, both for those who post (rarely get a reply to a real developer question) and for those who read to provide answer and to learn from the questions as well (that was a great value of the forum in the past).

Interesting to note that is is not the case on Stack Overflow. My guess is that, as it is developer.apple forum, many believe or hope it is a direct channel to Apple to boost or influence their review.

Unfortunately, some answers from Apple staff like "thank you for contacting us, we shall forward…" is just encouraging the trend whilst bringing no answer (just let the author feel having been heard).

 

allow other developers to ignore them.

Absolutely, notably in the general list of posts (https://developer.apple.com/forums/allPosts)

PS. I've noticed that the situation deteriorated rapidly after the change of forum software a few years ago.

Interesting to note that is is not the case on Stack Overflow.

Stack Overflow is dying. Have you seen this chart?

https://meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/437921/how-does-the-continued-decline-in-posts-since-may-25-influence-our-interpretati

Perhaps Apple feels that these posts are still engagement and useful for keeping the site alive. Otherwise, the suits might have already killed it.

many believe or hope it is a direct channel to Apple to boost or influence their review.

Do we know for certain that they're wrong?

Unfortunately, some answers from Apple staff like "thank you for contacting us, we shall forward…" is just encouraging the trend whilst bringing no answer (just let the author feel having been heard).

I think there is some value to that. I was laid up for a weekend and didn't fell like doing any real work. I tried to go through and give those posts something. I don't know if it did any good. Seemed to annoy some Apple folks.

I've noticed that the situation deteriorated rapidly after the change of forum software a few years ago.

Yeah. It was a wasteland for a long time. That's what bothers me. These review, enrolment, rejection complaints are engagement. They have livened up the forums. I can't deny that.

I just can't help them. It's like with all the other social media sites, you can follow whom you want, and isolate yourself into a happy little echo chamber. You can do that on the Apple Support Community if you want too. But not here. It's like being forced to see all of the posts on X, Facebook, or Reddit. That would drive a normal person insane.

If Apple wants to be the only one answering questions, that's fine. Turn off my reply button and I'll go away. But if they're going to do that, I think, they should reply to all posts. Fact is, they could check and reply to someone, "I checked your app, it's properly queued/reviewed." Yeah, they'd need staff for that. Such is life.

That's why I'm asking for an unhappy medium. If they want to ghost these people, fine. Just let me ghost them too.

I don't know. Perhaps it's a cultural, American thing. I did briefly work on the west coast, in Seattle. Couldn't take it. Went back to Canada. Maybe that's the right way to handle it.

Forum activity for 2026
 
 
Q